Security Sector Working Group (SSWG)
The main purpose of the SSWG is to act as a forum for coordination and exchange between donors and the PA on issues related to security, as well as the priorities and strategies of relevant PA institutions in this sector.
The key functions of the SSWG are as follows:
- assist donors in aligning assistance in relation to the PA national plans and strategies for the sector;
- support the development and updating of sector strategies within the framework of national plans and budgets;
- coordinate and harmonize donor assistance to prevent duplication;
- carry out coordinated and strategic dialogue with the purpose of identifying PA priorities and the readiness/availability of the donor community to fund related programmes;
- function as the main source of information for needs and achievements, donor funding and gaps in the security sector;
- develop joint indicators and sector reviews for sector monitoring and programme-based approaches.
The SSWG reports to the Governance Strategy Group (GSG) on a regular basis.
Membership in the group is limited to donors and other institutions (e.g. non-governmental organizations) who can add substantial financial or analytical value, as well as relevant PA institutions.
Co-Chairs: Ministry of Interior (MoI) and United Kingdom (UK)
Technical Advisor: United States Security Coordinator (USSC)/ European Union Police Coordinating Office for Palestinian Police Support (EUPOL COPPS)
PA institutions: Office of the President (OoP), Ministry of Planning and Administrative Development (MoPAD), Ministry of Justice (MoJ),
Donors: Canada, Denmark, Office of the European Union Representative (EUREP), Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Germany, International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Turkey, Office of the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process (UNSCO)
Observers: Office of the Quartet (OQ) and China
Secretariat: Local Aid Coordination Secretariat (LACS)